Monday, June 4, 2012

Um... yum.



So it's not a very original title.  But sometimes, there's really nothing more to say.


Let me elaborate just a touch.  Pinterest, as we all know, is amazing.  (and addictive, but that's neither here nor there).  Spend just 5 minutes on that baby and you've got more inspiration than you know what to do with (which for someone as indecisive as me can actually be detrimental.) (But that's neither here nor there, too.)  Food is dangerous.  Why?  1) Holy cow.  Talk about packing on the pounds.  Just check out that selection of delicious delicacies and your hips will be angry with you for a month.  (Or more if you don't also check out the "fitness" boards out there.)  B) Food photography (like a lot of photography, or so I've found) can be really deceiving.  "Looks delicious" doesn't always translate into "tastes delicious."  and 3) sometimes the picture/link provided takes you to plenty of stuff that looks nothing at all like what you'd like to be making - based on the aforementioned picture.


I don't think I'm the only one who's made a few duds that have made the pinterest circuit.  (I mean, no offense, recipe people.  Some food is better than others.  Simple fact.)  So when you try a pinterest recipe, it's kind of a gamble, yes?


The ones I picked this time?  Winners.  All around.  Nothing more to say.  So if you've pinned these as well but have been weary of trying them, never fear.  I've got you covered.  And I say, go for it!

First up, Chicken, Bacon and Cream Cheese Taquitos with Avocado Dipping Sauce.  Find the pin here.

And, I've added exactly how I translated the recipe below.

Chicken, Bacon and Cream Cheese Taquitos
10 small skinless, boneless chicken breast tenderloins
1 T olive oil
garlic powder
ground cumin
salt
pepper
2 (8 oz) packages cream cheese - room temperature
1/2 C to 1 C REAL cooked bacon crumbles (I used hormel)
1 package of small tortillas 
Oil of your choice for frying (I used canola)


Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.  Once the pan is hot, place your chicken breast tenderloins in.  Sprinkle the chicken with garlic powder, cumin, salt and pepper to taste - make sure you get each piece, but don't overdo it.  Cook for about 6 minutes, or until the chicken is beginning to turn golden.  Flip each piece.  Sprinkle with garlic powder, cumin, salt and pepper to taste.  Cook for about 6 minutes or until the chicken is opaque all the way through.  Shred the chicken pieces.  Cream the cream cheese with a mixer.  Add the shredded chicken and the bacon crumbles.  Mix well.  Spread about 2 T of the mixture on a small tortilla.  Roll the tortilla up and secure with a toothpick.  Do this to the rest of the tortillas - until you run out of chicken mixture.  Pour about 3 inches of oil in a heavy pot. Heat the oil to about 350.  Place the taquitos in the oil.  Cook them in small batches, and turn if they aren't completely covered with the oil.  Make sure they are golden on all sides before taking them out of the oil with a tongs.  Place them on a plate covered with a paper towel to drain.  Let cool.

So good.  I mean, seriously.  So good.  A definite "must do again."


Moving on.  Avocado Dipping Sauce.  I'll let you go to Mommy I'm Hungry to get the recipe.  It's delish.  You'll want it with these taquitos, for sure, but you may want to make it again and again for other stuff too.  Like chips.  Or veggies.  Or as a condiment on a sandwich or quesadilla ("make yourself a dang qway-sa-dila!")

For a side, I decided I needed something healthy and light.  You know.  To counteract the whole fried thing.  I went with a salad.  When I was at the store, I noticed that mangos were on sale, and couldn't help picking a few up - even though I have never bought one and didn't know what ripe mangos were supposed to look like and had to call my mom and then my dad for verification.  Anyway, I grabbed a few other things that looked like they'd compliment the rest and came home to make up this yummy salad/dressing combo.  Not to toot the old horn around here, but it's good.  Make it again good.

Leafy Mango Salad
Various types of lettuce - romaine, bib and red and green leaf lettuce are good options
1 medium mango
1 avocado
1/2 package of pre-cored pineapple (fresh)
3 green onions
3 tomatoes
4 T fresh cilantro


Chop everything up - make sure the cilantro and onions are chopped fine - and mix it all together well.


Lemon-Lime Vinaigrette dressing
1/6 C lemonade - I used Simply Lemonade (that's about 8 tsp)
2 T pomegranate juice
1 1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
1 1/2 tsp cooking sherry
1 1/2 T dijon mustard
a splash or two of lime juice
salt and pepper to taste
1 T olive oil


Put everything except the olive oil in a food processor and mix it on high.  Add the oil a little at a time while the processor is still blending.


Toss the mango salad with the dressing.  Add more or less depending on your taste.


For dessert, I did this old pin right here.

                                                                      Source: Uploaded by user via Kimberly on Pinterest



Oh, yes I did.  However, I don't own one of the fancy shmancy bar pans like in the picture.  So what did I do?  Lined a cupcake pan with foil wrappers, of course.  They peeled off nicely and I was left with a cupcake shaped triple layer brownie of DELICIOUSNESS.  I even cooked them just a smidge too long, and they were STILL really good.  Recommend?  Yes.  Yes I do.  So here you go.

Triple Layer Brownies
1 package of chocolate chip cookie dough
1 package of mini peanut butter cups 
1 box of Betty Crocker "Hershey's Supreme" brownie mix (not to be overly specific here, but the fudge-y syrup-y goodness is worth getting the right mix...)


Heat oven to 350.  Make the brownie mix according to the box.  Line your muffin tins with cupcake papers.  Press one chunk of cookie dough into each liner.  Place a peanut butter cup in the middle.  Ladle the brownie mix over the top - fill the cups almost full but not quite.  Squeeze the syrup fudge stuff right over the top (it'll sink).  Bake for about 35 minutes, then check.  A toothpick inserted in the middle should come out without brownie stuff all over it, but will probably have peanut butter or milk chocolate on it... 

Side note: I used walmart brand peanut butter cups and decided I liked them better than the reeses.  Crazy.


And just so we're clear, here:

Want a safe bet?  Well, here you go.  You're welcome.
Also, if you've pinned some food you're too scared to try, let me know.  My family is used to being guinea pigs.




*Be sure to check the right sidebar for all the fun parties I link to!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...